Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned2016-02-19T22:02:11Z
dc.date.available2016-02-19T22:02:11Z
dc.identifierttu_sasser_000275
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2346/66458
dc.formatImage/jpeg
dc.languageen
dc.rights© Texas Tech University Libraries. Users must request permission from the copyright holder for all use in publications, including theses and dissertations.
dc.titleCustom House
vra.imageagentElizabeth Sasser
vra.imagerightsElizabeth Sasser
vra.workculturalcontextAmerican
vra.workdate1818-1819
vra.workdescriptionThe Custom House at Salem Maritime NHS is the last of 13 Custom Houses in the city. There has been a Custom House in Salem since 1649, collecting taxes on imported cargos first for the British Government during the Colonial period, then for the American Government after the establishment of the U. S. Customs Service in 1789. This Custom House was built in 1819 and housed offices for the officers of the U.S. Customs Service, as well as an attached warehouse, the Public Stores, used for the storage of bonded and impounded cargo.
vra.worklocationSalem, Massachussetts, United States
vra.worktitleCustom House
vra.workworktypegovernment buildings
vra.workdate.century19th century
vra.workclassificationArchitecture and City Planning
dc.contributor.creatorElizabeth Sasser


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record